PREPARING FOR YOUR
Pregnancy is an amazing time in a woman's life. The infinite amount of love I have for my own daughters is what inspired me to capture motherhood at its beginning. And so I'm always excited when moms choose to commemorate their pregnancy with professional portraits. At Lisa Yvette Photography, we want your maternity session to be safe, comfortable & fun! This short guide was created to help you prepare.
THE PLANNING PHASE
WHAT TO WEAR - MOMS:
I suggest no more than 3 outfits. This gives us time for photographing and changing. Some choose to bring a formal and casual outfit. You also have the option of wearing gowns or wrapping fabrics from my studio wardrobe. To use the studio dresses, you must contact Lisa Yvette 980-288-7855 to schedule a fitting appointment at least one week before the session. You may view a small sample of our gowns by clicking here. Sundresses, Maxi dresses, jeans with tops or maternity blouses are ideal. You and your spouse do not have to be matching, but coordination of styles and colors is key. Pinterest is a great place to check for ideas. Lastly, if you plan to photograph in a sheer dress or sheer fabric, please wear undergarments that closely match your skin tone (such as nude, beige, brown, or black). For strapless dresses, I strongly advise you to wear a strapless bra to give the breast great support. Let me know if you need help or suggestions.
WHAT TO WEAR - DADS/PARTNERS:
Dark Pants or Khakis, avoid jeans if possible. Solid Color simple shirt or sweater (crew-neck, polo, or button down). Layers are great too (i.e. cardigan sweater, suit or sports jacket). Dress shoes or loafers (no sneakers). We suggest you coordinate colors with mom’s maternity outfits, but you ‘don’t have to’ match. Some dads like to go shirtless in studio or in private outdoor settings, this is fine. Avoid busy patterned shirts, lint covered clothes, dirty shoes or tennis shoes. No shirts with logos, faces, or any writing such as slogans and quotes.
MAKEUP AND HAIR:
A light coat of natural looking makeup will go a long way to enhance your features and help your face stand out in your photos. We suggest using one of our professional makeup artists and your preferred hair stylist to ensure your photos look their best. Ask us for a list of our preferred makeup artists.
Maternity sessions may be held indoors at the studio or outdoors, at a local park, garden, field, lake, uptown, etc.. We can accommodate studio requests for specific reasons (allergies, harsh weather or milk bath or nude shoots). Due to time constraints we will not be able to do both an indoor and an outdoor session. You must decide one or the other, unless you’d prefer to pay the hourly rate for additional time. If your session is at my in-home studio, please park in an available space in the driveway for your safety and your vehicle’s safety.
Props are a great way to personalize your session. Some suggestions are: ultrasound, baby shoes/outfit, balloons, banner, chalkboard, parasol, alphabet blocks spelling baby’s name, stuffed animal, a family heirloom, personalized baby item. Ask about our props before you buy!
10 MUST READ SESSION TIPS!
1. Get plenty of rest the night before your session (to avoid dark eye circles and tiring). Also avoid salty foods that increase bloating and swelling.
2. The day of your shoot, don't stand on your feet too much before the session. You'll do plenty of walking and moving around and we don't want you too tired before we start.
3. Have a light meal about an hour or so before your session. Bring snacks if needed and water to stay hydrated especially in the hot summer months.
4. Bring your props! Examples include: ultrasound, baby shoes, balloons, chalkboard, family heirloom, blocks to spell baby's name, personalized onesie, baby book.
5. Bring your makeup bag and hair styling tools to freshen up your look and remove facial shine as needed.
6. Bring your wardrobe accessories: earrings, necklaces, scarves, headband, sunglasses, etc. (but do not wear a watch or bracelets) Wedding rings and bands are ok.
7. Moisturize! Especially your belly, elbows, and hands. Vaseline, Shea butter, vitamin E or other lightweight oils, or Eucerin work great!
8. Clothing: Ensure your outfits are ironed/pressed as we cannot remove wrinkles during editing. If you are wearing a sheer maternity gown, be sure to wear neutral colored undergarments that closely match your skin tone so they don't show through the gown. I suggest a nude/tan for fair skin or black or brown for medium skin and black for darker skin. PLEASE DON’T FORGET YOUR STRAPLESS BRA OR SHAPEWEAR as needed. Wear comfortable shoes that you can walk in.
9. Your nails should be neat and trimmed as they will be showing in nearly every shot. Shave armpits. Some poses leave the armpits exposed so we encourage you to shave them.
10. Prepare for current weather: If your session is in winter, choose warmer clothes and bring a long warm coat, heavy cardigan or jacket to layer in. If however, it is summer, please bring cool water, and a towel to keep your face patted dry.
10. Be mindful of: New hairstyles that may turn out badly, new facial products that may irritate or breakout the skin, sun burns and tan lines that leave red marks and lines in your photos, wearing tight fitted undergarments that leave creases on the skin. If you suffer from red eyes...please bring visine.
WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND HIRING PROFESSIONAL HAIR STYLISTS AND MAKEUP ARTISTS TO COMPLETE YOUR LOOK.
AFTER YOUR SESSION: Immediately following your session, we will review your ‘unedited’ photos. You will choose the ones you’d like for me to edit, build your photo package, and place your order. This usually takes an hour or less. Please be sure to review the price guide in your portal’s ‘links’ section prior to the session. After your print/digital packages are chosen and payments submitted, your photos will be professionally hand edited by me. It is important that all family members who make financial decisions attend this in person appointment as I cannot reschedule the appointment.
Most digital and print orders are back within 2 weeks from the time. Canvas, Frames, Albums, etc. can take up to 3 weeks. Once your final products come back from my lab, I will inspect, package, and deliver them to you for your convenience within 25 miles of our studio! If shipping is necessary, shipping and handling fees will be billed with your order.
NOTE: After your initial order is paid, any subsequent orders must be completed within 60 days. There is a de-archive fee of $75 if you miss the 7 day window to download your digitals. I strongly suggest buying a USB drive to make a backup copy of your photos.
Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to capture these precious moments for your family. It truly means the world to me and I know your photographs will create unforgettable memories for generations to come. Please do not hesitate to let me know if there is anything I can do to make our time together more memorable.