At Lisa Yvette Photography, we want to ensure your maternity session is safe, comfortable & fun! We have therefore created this short guide to help you prepare.
PLANNING YOUR SESSION
WHAT TO WEAR:
I suggest no more than 3 outfits. This gives us time for photographing and changing. Some choose to bring a formal and casual outfit. You also have the option of wearing one of my gowns or wrapping fabrics. Sundresses, Maxi dresses, jeans with button down tops or maternity blouses are ideal. You and your spouse do not have to be matching, but coordination of styles and colors is key. Pinterest is a great place to check for idea. Let me know if you need help or suggestions.
MAKEUP AND HAIR:
A light coat of natural looking makeup will go a long way to enhance your features and help your face stand out in your photos. We suggest using a professional makeup artist and hair stylist to ensure your photos look their best. Let me know if you need suggestions on a makeup artist or hair stylist.
Maternity sessions are usually held outdoors, at a local park, garden, field, lake, or uptown. But we can accommodate studio requests (generally due to allergies or weather).
Props are a great way to personalize your session. Some suggestions are: ultrasound, baby shoes/outfit, balloons, banner, chalkboard, parasol, alphabet blocks spelling baby’s name, stuffed animal, a family heirloom, personalized baby item. Ask about our props before you buy!
TIPS FOR A SMOOTH SESSION
1. Get plenty of rest the night before your session (to avoid dark eye circles and tiring). Also avoid salty foods that increase bloating and swelling.
2. The day of your shoot, don't stand on your feet too much before the session. You'll do plenty of walking and moving around and we don't want you too tired before we start.
3. Have a full meal about an hour or so before your session. Bring snacks if needed and water to stay hydrated.
4. Bring your props!
5. Bring your makeup bag and hair styling tools to freshen up your look as needed.
6. Bring your wardrobe accessories: earrings, necklaces, scarves, headband, sunglasses, etc. (but do not wear a watch or bracelets) Wedding rings and bands are ok.
7. Moisturize your belly if you are planning photos that show your belly/skin. Don't forget your elbows and hands. Vaseline, Shea butter, or Eucerin work great!
8. Clothing: Ensure your outfits are ironed/pressed as we cannot remove wrinkles during editing. If you are wearing a sheer maternity gown, be sure to wear neutral colored undergarments that closely match your skin tone so they don't show through the gown. I suggest a nude or brown colored tube like top and boy shorts made of lace, spandex, lycra or other stretchy material. Wear comfortable shoes that you can walk in. Bring a long warm coat, heavy cardigan/jacket if your shoot day is in winter.
9. Ensure nails are neat and trimmed. Your hands will be in nearly every shot. Shave armpits. Some posed leave the armpits exposed so we encourage you to shave them.
10. Be mindful of: New hairstyles that may turn out badly, new facial products that may irritate or breakout the skin, sun burns and tans that leave red marks and lines in your photos, wearing tight fitted undergarments that leave creases on the skin, red eyes...please bring visine.
Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to capture these precious moments in time for your family. It truly means the world to me and I know your photographs will create unforgettable memories for generations to come. Please do not hesitate to let me know if there is anything I can do to make our time together go smoothly.