Pregnancy is an amazing time in a woman's life. The infinite amount of love I have for my own daughters is what inspired me to capture motherhood at its beginning. The creation, development, and birth of a baby is nothing short of a miracle. I'm always excited when moms choose to commemorate their pregnancy with professional portraits. The laugher and emotional bonding during your portrait session will forever be with you and your spouse. At Lisa Yvette Photography, we want your maternity session is safe, comfortable & fun! We have therefore created this short guide to help you prepare.
BEFORE YOUR SESSION
WHAT TO WEAR:
I suggest no more than 3 outfits. This gives us time for photographing and changing. Some choose to bring a formal and casual outfit. You also have the option of wearing one of my gowns or wrapping fabrics. If this is the case, you must contact Lisa Yvette 980-288-7855 to schedule an appointment well in advance of the session. You may view a sample of our gowns by clicking here. Sundresses, Maxi dresses, jeans with button down tops or maternity blouses are ideal. You and your spouse do not have to be matching, but coordination of styles and colors is key. Pinterest is a great place to check for ideas. Lastly, if you plan to photograph in a sheer dress or sheer fabric, please wear undergarments that closely match your skin tone (such as nude, beige, brown, or black). Caucasian and Fair Skinned African Americans should wear nude or beige. African Americans with medium complexions should wear brown, and darker skin should wear black. Let me know if you need help or suggestions. For strapless dresses, I strongly advise you to wear a strapless bra to give the breast support in my dresses and fabrics. Again, closely match your skin tone and undergarments for the best photos.
MAKEUP AND HAIR:
A light coat of natural looking makeup will go a long way to enhance your features and help your face stand out in your photos. We suggest using a professional makeup artist and hair stylist to ensure your photos look their best. Let me know if you need suggestions on a makeup artist or hair stylist.
Maternity sessions are always held outdoors, at a local park, garden, field, lake, or uptown. We can accommodate studio requests for specific reasons (allergies, harsh weather or milk bath or nude shoots). Due to time constraints we will not be able to do both an indoor and an outdoor session. You must decide one or the other.
Props are a great way to personalize your session. Some suggestions are: ultrasound, baby shoes/outfit, balloons, banner, chalkboard, parasol, alphabet blocks spelling baby’s name, stuffed animal, a family heirloom, personalized baby item. Ask about our props before you buy!
1. Get plenty of rest the night before your session (to avoid dark eye circles and tiring). Also avoid salty foods that increase bloating and swelling.
2. The day of your shoot, don't stand on your feet too much before the session. You'll do plenty of walking and moving around and we don't want you too tired before we start.
3. Have a light meal about an hour or so before your session. Bring snacks if needed and water to stay hydrated especially in the hot summer months.
4. Don't forget your props! Examples include: ultrasound, baby shoes, balloons, chalkboard, family heirloom, blocks to spell baby's name, personalized onesie, baby book.
5. Bring your makeup bag and hair styling tools to freshen up your look and remove facial shine as needed.
6. Bring your wardrobe accessories: earrings, necklaces, scarves, headband, sunglasses, etc. (but do not wear a watch or bracelets) Wedding rings and bands are ok.
7. Moisturize your belly, elbows, and hands especially if you are planning photos that show your belly. Vaseline, Shea butter, vitamin E or other lightweight oils, or Eucerin work great!
8. Clothing: Ensure your outfits are ironed/pressed as we cannot remove wrinkles during editing. If you are wearing a sheer maternity gown, be sure to wear neutral colored undergarments that closely match your skin tone so they don't show through the gown. I suggest a nude/tan for fair skin or black or brown for medium skin and black for darker skin. Tube like tops or strapless bra paired with boy shorts made of lace, spandex, lycra or other stretchy material are perfect for this. Wear comfortable shoes that you can walk in.
9. Your nails should be neat and trimmed as they will be showing in nearly every shot. Shave armpits. Some poses leave the armpits exposed so we encourage you to shave them.
10. Prepare for current weather: If your session is in winter, choose warmer clothes and bring a long warm coat, heavy cardigan or jacket to layer in. If however, it is summer, please bring cool water, and a towel to keep your face patted dry.
10. Be mindful of: New hairstyles that may turn out badly, new facial products that may irritate or breakout the skin, sun burns and tan lines that leave red marks and lines in your photos, wearing tight fitted undergarments that leave creases on the skin, red eyes...please bring visine.
Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to capture these precious moments in time for your family. It truly means the world to me and I know your photographs will create unforgettable memories for generations to come. Please do not hesitate to let me know if there is anything I can do to make our time together go smoothly.